The body’s natural response to stress is a flood of cortisol, adrenaline and other hormones that provide a short burst of energy. This worked well for our ancestors when they encountered dangerous situations, like a wild animal in the woods. But a modern lifestyle is a constant source of stress, and our overworked adrenal glands can have a hard time holding up under weeks, months, or years of pressure. Without proper support, the adrenal system can quickly go from fatigue to failure. At Cincinnati Health Institute we use the Adrenal Support Protocol by DesBio.
Four Phases of adrenal Failure
Phase 1: Acute fatigue
In the early stages of stress there may be a short term burst of energy and alertness, but a subsequent crash towards the afternoon and end of day. Over time, day to day function may start to suffer.
- Early stage stress possibly related to stress
- Cortisol, norepinephrine and epinephrine may be elevated
- Daytime anxiety/irritability
- Caffeine/sugar cravings
- Sluggish metabolism
- Lowered sex drive
- This stage may resolve on its own
During the 1st phase of adrenal fatigue we recommend taking a good multivitamin like Omni Essentials. The Adrenal protocol for beginning stage adrenal fatigue is Liposomal Calm, Vitalyze and Stress EZ.
Phase 2: Resistance
As the adrenals begin to struggle the body produces a shortage of cortisol. This shortage results in irritability, anxiety and sleep difficulties. The immune system and metabolism may become impaired. Libido may go down.
- Adrenal glands begin to be unable to keep up with body's demand for cortisol
- Sluggish metabolism
- Low Immunity
- May be resolved through time off or stress management techniques
During the 2nd phase of adrenal fatigue we recommend taking a good multivitamin like Omni Essentials. The Adrenal protocol for beginning stage adrenal fatigue is Vitalyze, Adrenal Synergy, Stress EZ, Hormone Combination and Adrenal Support.
Phase 3: Exhaustion
Once the adrenals are exhausted, fatigue and anxiety become constant. Metabolism is severely affected and weight gain results.
- Body is unable to keep up with cortisol demand
- Abdominal weight gain
- Hypoglycemia post meal
- Non-restorative sleep
- Fibromyalgia; chronic fatigue
- The use of medicines to mask symptoms
- Toxin build up
During the 3rd phase of adrenal fatigue we recommend taking a good multivitamin like Omni Essentials. The Adrenal protocol for the exhaustion stage adrenal fatigue is Adrenal Synergy, Hormone Combination, Female/Male Stimulant and Adrenal Support.
Phase 4: failure
As the adrenals shut down and stop working, patients experience severe symptoms like Addison's disease, the inability to make hormones, weight gain.
- Body is unable to make hormones
- Addison's disease
- Inability of body to produce hormones
- If repairable, can take up to two years to fix
- Hormone replacement therapy may be necessary